Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hello, hello!

What a beautiful world it is!
We have been mired in rain and cloudy-fogginess for weeks upon weeks, and today the sun shone sweetly upon us!
Hooray!
I went kayaking with good friends,
had a delicious meal with my love,
and watched fireworks with my parents!
I was even smart/lucky enough to duck out slightly early and with a brisk walk through the cool summer air, I arrived at my car, slipped onto the miraculously empty road and zipped on home before the hordes of skywatchers even reached their vehicles.
Oh, happy, happy day!

And then I sat down to type this and tripped over an article written by some complete fucking moron about the "needless hysteria" surrounding nut allergies in elementary schools.
Hey, guess what?
Fuck you, Dr. Christakis!
Some of us actually have children with life-threatening reactions to ingestion of nuts.
I am NOT hysterical, nor are my precautions needless.
But when we entrust our children to the care of the school, we expect them to return in the same fashion we sent them off.

And....wow...I just wasted an hour reading the comments posted after the aforementioned article.
And writing my own, of course.
There are truly some insensitive assholes out there who are now even more smug in their ignorance.
Nuts can kill. The reasons they don't kill more often is because we take precautions.

FaaaaackOff.

Anywho, time for bed.
I'm sunburned and sleepy.

2 comments:

Ariel said...

My Honey's grandma is so allergic to peanuts that the TEENIEST amount will knock her over dead- and you'd better believe our caterer is taking it seriously-
People are asshats.

E. said...

Yes, people are asshats. A substance that lurks in so many foods and can kill someone? An allergy that's become more and more common? I share your indignation, and I feel so much for your position as the mama of a precious boy who has to navigate a world full of peanuts and peanut-traces.

My dear man is allergic to bee stings, and it really keeps me up at night sometimes. Allergies can be so scary when they're serious.