Monday, April 27, 2009

And....we're back to chilly temps again

I knew that weekend of summer-like weather couldn't last!
That's ok.
Ups and downs.........that's life.

I have nothing to say.

But I'm trying to stick with my commitment to blog for 2 weeks straight, every day.
I have already missed some, but I need to keep going until it feels natural again.

Already I am coming alive again, that place that connects my brain to the keyboard is sparking to life, just a bit.
I have written the beginning of a story and the beginning of an essay...
it's all beginnings with me.
I never seem to finish anything.
But I guess I can choose to change that, eh?
Just gotta keep on pushing through. I'll learn to find the end of stories, I will.

Last night I couldn't sleep.
I had something on my mind that I wanted to work through on my own, but I ended up needing to talk about it instead.
So I did. And all is well.
But I tossed and turned for a long while, and then when I had only been asleep about an hour, the kids came in and dredged me up from the depths of dreamless sleep which I had somehow found so soon, and told me that the power was out....
When I'm asleep, I don't care about anything except sleep.
I told them to go back to bed, but they stayed in our room for a while.
Then the power came back on and they left...and it was then that I realized they have battery-operated reading lights they could have used.
Oh well.
It was sometime after that incident that I dreamed of flying.
I flew easily and heroically--I was Dorothy Gale, or some version thereof.
We were in a house, a big country manner..? Maybe an in-town Victorian. Yes, that's it.
And there was a baby somewhere, I forget its relevance to the story.
I was running away, but there were bad guys closing in and then I leapt into the air and was flying away, out of reach of the chilling, frightening men.
I was in and out of danger several times and then I went back to that house and grabbed hands with the Scarecrow and the Lion and the Tin Man, but at the last minute I decided not to attempt flight-for-four off the roof of a tall house, and we hurried down the stairs and then I was in jail, but I was assured that all would be well, and I was calculating the odds of survival based on sleeping with my back to the crowd of inmates, or to the wall....
Hm.
Weird dream.

If I could experience the sensation of flying by writing about it, I would devote myself to that endeavor.
But instead, I feel like Ally McBeal, wishing I could stay asleep because my dreams are so potent and pleasant.
I would not, however, trade this happy (waking) life I have for the power to fly in my dreams.

Ha! I must have Oz on the brain, because I was just downloading some U2 and when I went to the folder to play some back, I instead chose the Israel Komo....etc version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World"! Didn't even connect it to Judy Garland...this version of the song has special meaning for me, personal meaning separate from the movie where it originated.
Not even the modern movie where this version of the song appears.
I think I just plain old LOVE this song...it feels like a dream, a wish, a floating place of joy up in the clouds, but yet completely grounded.

Have a happy day, anyone out there reading this!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU have a wonderful day too :)
-Ariel :)

meno said...

Happy Day back!

Unknown said...

Break on through to the other side.

Mr. L said...

Hey....for about a month, I completely forgot how to get to your blog!! wtf?? Must be getting senile!

My favourite version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes....

Lisa said...

Oh, Mr. L, it was probably for the best... Haha! Actually, I didn't write more than a post or two during that time anyway. But still. You're gettin' old, dude. I'll have to try to remember to check that version out.

Was that an Aldous Huxley reference, D-Man?? :) The Doors of Perception...

Thanks, Meno, and Ariel!